What items can be ordered through ILL?
Generally, books, articles, and conference papers. Other items may be available at the discretion of the lending library.
How long does it take to get ILL items?
Depending on the item requested and how far we have to go to get it, anywhere from 24 hours to two weeks. We cannot guarantee that any particular item can be obtained.
How can I get my ILL items faster?
Please check the library catalog and, if requesting an article, our online databases and the journal's web page before placing an ILL order. Also, please try to fill out the information on your request form as completely as possible.
How many items can I request?
- Academy and Bryn Athyn College students and staff and non-Academy patrons – 10 books and 10 articles per term for free. Subsequent requests cost $2, regardless of whether the request is successful or not. Staff may borrow additional items for free if they are needed for a work-related project (letter from supervisor required).
- Academy and Bryn Athyn College faculty – no limit.
- Due to copyright restrictions, the library as a whole is limited to how many requests can be made for articles from any one journal. For more details, see here.
How will I be notified when my item arrives?
- If you choose notification by text message, we will send the notification to the number you provide.
- If you choose email notification and have a network account, we will send you an email via your ANC/GC account.
- If you do not choose text messaging and do not have a network email, you can choose to be informed via email or phone.
How can I pick up my items?
- Physical items, such as books, will be held for delivery at the front desk of the library, and can be picked up any time the library is open. Items must be picked up within seven days after notification, or they will be returned or thrown out, as appropriate, and will not be reordered during that same term.
- Articles delivered electronically can be accessed from your personal ILL page. These articles are deleted after 30 days.
Can I take ILL books out of the library?
Most ILL books can be taken from the library. Occasionally, a lending library may request that a book be used only within the Swedenborg Library building, usually if it is rare or fragile. When this is the case, you must bring in a campus ID or drivers license, as for a reserve book.
How do I know when to bring an ILL book back?
The due date will be marked on a label on the cover of the book. Please also note that books can be recalled by the lending library at any time. If the book is recalled, you must bring the book back immediately once you are notified.
Can ILL books be renewed?
- Most ILL books are eligible for renewal. Renewal requests can be placed from your personal ILL page. If a book is not eligible for renewal, this will be noted on the label on the book.
- Renewals are subject to the decision of the lending library and are not guaranteed. Renewal requests must be made before the original due date or they will not be accepted, and the item will not be reordered within the same term. Renewals are rarely granted more than once.
Is there a charge for ILL items?
Generally, no; however, certain rare, unusual, or copyright-restricted items may result in a fee being charged by the lending library.
What happens if my ILL items are overdue or lost?
- ILL books that are overdue or are not returned within one day after notification of recall – there is a charge of 25 cents per day.
- ILL books that are damaged or lost – there is a charge for repair or replacement as determined by the lending library.
- Repeated problems with lateness or mistreatment of ILL items may result in loss of ILL privileges.